I’m on day 3 of a new fitness and nutrition plan, 80 Day Obsession. The best part about this plan, eating wholesome delicious clean food. This Chicken Mole is packed full of flavor, portion approved, and done in the Instapot!!!!
This recipe is adapted from the Fixate Chicken Mole recipe. Have you heard of Fixate? It’s the cooking channel on Beachbody On Demand. All the recipes on there are clean, healthy, and delicious. Don’t have Beachbody On Demand? Check out more info here.
This recipe counts as a red and orange with the portion containers. I served it with a side salad, and if you need a yellow, or carb, eat it with corn tortillas.
First, I cooked the chicken in the Instantpot. I used frozen chicken, added some water, then cooked it on the poultry setting, high pressure, for 10 min. When it was done, I shredded the chicken. Follow the directions for the sauce, add to the chicken in the pot, then cook on manual for 4 minutes and viola! All done and delicious! Quick release when done.
This recipe calls for some unique ingredients, ghee for one. If you can’t find ghee you can substitute butter. I was able to find dried chiles at Walmart next to the seasonings on the baking isle. I couldn’t fine exactly what the recipe calls for, so I used what they had and it worked out just fine!
- 2 Tbsp + 1½ tsp Raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 Dry ancho chile, stem and seeds discarded and chopped
- 2 Dry smoked pulla chiles, stems and seeds discarded and chopped
- 1 Dry guajillo chile, stem and seeds discarded and chopped
- 1 Dry smoked pasilla chile, stem and seeds discarded and chopped
- 1 Can chipotle chiles in adobe sauce
- ½ c Canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 Cloves garlic
- ¼ c Chopped onion
- ½ tsp Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 Tbsp Ghee or butter if you don't have ghee
- ¾ C Vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate chopped
- ¾ tsp Lime zest (approx one small lime)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp Unflavored gelatin
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp honey
- 1 c Water
- 2 lbs Frozen chicken
- ¼ c Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Place chicken in the Instapot with some water. Doesn't have to be exact, just enough to cook. Set Instapot on Poultry setting. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release, drain water, then shred. Leave in pot.
- Preheat oven to 375. Arrange pumpkin seeds on baking tray. Cook for 10-12 minutes then set aside.
- Arrange dried chiles in a single layer on a baking tray. Bake for 5-7 minutes then cool.
- Place baked chiles, chiles in adobe sauce, tomatoes, garlic, onion, paprika, coriander, cumin, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice in a blender. Blend until a smooth paste forms.
- Melt ghee in a saucepan, add chile mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes. Sauce should darken and smell very fragrant.
- Place pumpkin seeds, broth, chocolate, lime peel, lime juice, cocoa powder, gelatin, salt, and honey in the blender. No need to clean it first. Blend.
- Add mixture plus water to saucepan with chile mixture. Boil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken in Instapot, mix together. Set pot on manual, high pressure, for 4 min. Quick release when done.
- If your portions allow, spoon on top of corn tortillas. Enjoy!
Just a warning, this recipe is SPICY, so cut back on peppers, adobe chiles, or whatever you need to tone it down if you want. My husband though it was perfect, my kids thought it was too hot. Next time I’ll tone it down for sure. You have been warned. 😉
What are your favorite portion approved recipes?
*This post contains affiliate links