One of the worst things that can happen on a run is a side ache! No matter what your distance, side aches can creep up and attempt to sabotage your run. With a few strategies, you can prevent side aches and learn how to get rid of them mid run.
- Proper Breathing- This is key not only for preventing side aches but for more efficient running. Match your breathing to your steps. I breathe in 3 steps and breathe out 3 steps. Some runners to 3:2 or 2:2. Find what works for you- breathe!
- Strong Abs and Core- Especially the obliques! A well trained core reduces rotational movement while you run putting less stress on the organs and makes you less prone to aches.
- Pre Run Food- Eat a light meal low in fiber and fat. Experiment to find your perfect pre race food.
- Warm Up- Warming up primes the muscles and helps you establish optimal breathing.
How To Get Rid Of A Side Ache
- Rhythmic Breathing- See above for proper breathing technique.
- Breath in while you step on the side with the ache- seems weird but it works.
- Slow down
- Use your hand to press on the ache
As soon as I feel a side ache coming on, I immediately start rhythmic breathing and step while I inhale on the side with the ache. If the side ache is on the right side, I breathe in while I step with my right foot. Usually, this gets rid of the side ache. If it doesn’t, I slow down or even walk while breathing deeply until it is gone.
Do these tricks every time you run and they soon become part of your running routine. I barely think about side aches any more, and they used to haunt every run!